Wednesday 21 November 2012

Having patience is the icing on the cake

Instant messaging, instant coffee, instant meal, everything is instant now a days.  We no longer have to wait for anything. Everything can be done quickly to accommodate our fast pace life styles. We have come to expect the final product to be done within a few minutes.
When I teach my cake decorating classes, I often notice that my students come to the realization that this is not the case with cake decorating. I will hear questions like ‘’is there a faster way?’’ or again ‘’Can I get something that will do this step for me?’’. My answer always remains the same ‘’No!’’. Sure, there are products on the market that will help out, but not do the job for you.
When you decide you want to decorate cakes, take your time! Like any craft, you have to slow down and concentrate; or I guarantee, it will show in the final product…..trust me, I’ve been there.
Have fun while decorating your cakes!! When my students work on their final project, I put on the radio and always make sure there’s plenty of coffee so that they feel right at home!
If you prefer to just smack the icing on the cake and quickly throw on some sprinkles then I don't  recommend that you venture out in cake decorating classes cause you’ll quickly run out of patience.
Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not the most patient person in the world. I tend to be the person who will press 3x on the elevator button thinking that it will speed things up! However, when it comes to making cakes, I slow down and pay attention to what I do. My world becomes closed off, and all about my cakes.
Have fun when decorating your cake!
Don’t forget, it’s all about the final product!

No comments:

Post a Comment